Fail to Plan, Plan to Fail

        "Plan  your meals but always leave room for options."   Much easier said then done right?  I used to be one of those people who always said planning my meals is not meant for me.  I'd plan my meals and then decide that day, I didn't want it.  I'd end up eating something completely different and something completely horrible for me.  That all changed about six months ago.  I was working two jobs.  I had no time to cook.  I had to prep in advance.  I needed to do it this time around for my health.  My health finally became a priority for me.  I wanted to take care of myself bad enough to make this planning ahead work for me.
          This was also around the time I did two things, I did a detox meal plan by Prescribe Nutrition.  They have done multiple rounds since the beginning of the year and continue to do so.  Definitely go check them out! What it is, is a variety of meals given to you by this creative team.  You have access to the two top people who are nutritionists.  They will answer all of your questions.  What I really liked about this was it helped reset my body.  That was the purpose of the plan.  Immediately after this plan, I went 100% gluten free.  This is also the time I discovered I definitely have a gluten intolerance.   The plan allowed for me to do a two week meal plan while being gluten and dairy free.  I had a chance to do it while being guided by two amazing nutritionists! This gave me the confidence to be able to do it on my own.
         Since January I have been following a 100% gluten free, 90% dairy free, 100% processed free, and 100% chemical free diet.  A lot, I know.  It is doable and manageable.  It just requires a bit of planning! What motivates me to continue planning is that I feel great! I no longer deal with headaches, drowsiness, stomach aches or any other ailments.  When I plan ahead, I plan for my health.  I know that I have very little options out in the world that fit my eating criteria.
      So how do I plan and be successful at it?  Easy.  I menu plan over the weekend.  I look through all my recipes and decide on a few that sound good to me.  I generally eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch throughout the week.  I do always have a backup plan.   I make a muesli and boil eggs as options for breakfast.  Lately I've been on a salad kick.  I always have a variety of fruit, vegetables and some sort of protein readily available to throw in.  I ALWAYS have fruit for snacks.  I then will pick out two meals that I want for the week.   Usually then I'll bulk cook on Sundays.  Now keep in mind, this was when I had no time during the week to cook at all.  This was great.  I literally carried around a whole day's worth of meals for myself.  It was cheaper and healthier then having to scramble for food.  It was also a lot less stressful knowing I could eat what I wanted to and still stick to my nutrition plan. Now that I'm not as busy during the week, I generally do the same routine except meals get cooked that night.  
    Now keep in mind, this isn't ALWAYS my meal plan.  I do switch it up, I'll make oat pancakes and freeze them for the week.  I may make soup or chicken.  I'll make whatever I'm feeling for the week but will always give myself at least two options.  I try to make them different from each other so that way I can have whatever it is I'm craving, whether it be something sweet or something sour.  I have my options.   My health is my biggest motivator. If I don't plan, I generally end up eating something that makes me sick.  I prefer to go through my days without headaches or stomachaches.  Wouldn't you? 
    Now you tell me, what works for you?  What are your obstacles to sticking to your nutrition plan for the week?  What motivates you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Care

Carrot Souffle Recipe

Roasted Winter Vegetable Vegetarian Jambalaya