Healthy Habits

     So getting back into blogging is not easy when I'm not really doing much fitness related due to foot injury.  I'm also not cooking due to the foot injury.  I'm currently at my mother's house where she is doing my cooking.  I am forced to stay in bed with my foot up. 
     I am however using this time to really focus on my diet and mental health.  I am trying to incorporate healthy habits that I can really continue even as I recover and heal from this injury.
There's menu planning, tracking my food, selecting healthy choices, good night's sleep, staying positive, drinking lemon water in the morning, and so on.  I'll spend the next few weeks discussing healthy habits and how important they are to our overall health.
   The first one I'm going to focus on today is drinking room temperature lemon water when you wake up.  This is something that I've seen all over.  It's been listed in holistic health books, blogs, and so on.  I figured, what's the harm in trying it.  If I don't see any improvement, then I'd stop it.  I see SUCH a difference on the days that I drink the lemon water verses days I do not drink the lemon water. 
    The health benefits of drinking lemon water are listed as followed:

                     1.  It helps increase production of bile in your liver. This is GREAT as I have no gall bladder to aid with the bile production.  This means my liver is doing all of this work alone.     When your body is producing a good amount of bile, it allows for digestion to occur more smoothly.  It aids in eliminating fat and cholesterol.  I notice a difference in how often I go to the bathroom when I have the lemon water verses when I don't.  There is a significant increase in eliminating waste.

                   2.  It helps balance the pH in your body.  Lemons are known as acidic but after you drink the lemon water, they become alkaline.  It's really important to have our pH balance be alkalized because it decreases your risk of inflammation and diseases.  We really want our numbers to be closer to 14 then to 0.  When it is closer to 14, that means your body is not very acidic which is GREAT!  This means you are eating a clean diet and your body is working correctly.  When you start your day with lemon water, you start your day by alkalizing your pH immediately. 
                 
              3. It helps clear the skin.  The vitamin C in the lemons really help the skin clear itself from inside out.  Since it helps eliminate the toxins from the body, this really helps in clearing the skin.  It really helps my acne. 

            4.  Helps eliminate toxins! It helps relieve bloating, constipation, and other gastrointestinal issues.  This is great for me as it helps my digestive system again.  Since I have no gall bladder (It was taken out in 2009 due to a disease - more on that another day) this really keeps my digestive system moving smoothly. 
 
         5.  Lemon water also helps support the immune system.  Vitamin C is important in keeping our immune system strong.  Lemons also contain ascorbic acid which helps iron absorption in the body.  Iron is also essential in keeping the immune system strong.

           
               There are several more benefits that I haven't listed.  These just happen to be the top reasons why I'm drinking lemon water in the morning.  I truly notice a difference after a day or two from when I'm drinking lemon water to when I'm not.  One really has to pay attention to their body.  I like drinking the lemon water because it helps me fine tune my body and my digestive system.  It doesn't feel that my body is working hard to process everything.  This aids my system!
        I always make sure I have enough lemons for the week.  During the week, I'll leave a glass out the night before that way it's room temperature the next day.  I pour it in my to go cup and squeeze a whole lemon in it.  I'll drink it on my way to work.  By the time I get to work, it's all gone! That means I get to have my breakfast when I get to work.   (I pack all my meals, that's another post) During the weekend, I do the same thing with my water.  When I get up, I make sure I squeeze my lemon water first thing in the morning.  Then while I'm drinking my water, I'll read the paper, check my emails, etc.  That takes about a half hour.  By that time, I'm done drinking my water and I'm off to start my day.  It's a really easy habit to get into.  Once you get started and see the differences, you'll wonder why you never did this before! I truly hope you add this healthy habit to your day.  Let me know if you see any differences!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Care

Carrot Souffle Recipe

Roasted Winter Vegetable Vegetarian Jambalaya