My personal care and make up were one of the last things I converted over to a more natural, organic type of care. I was very hesitant because who knows what was out there that I could use. I needed it to work. I need it to make me feel pretty. I hated using my products because none of it ever worked. It was annoying. Nothing ever felt good or made me feel pretty. There is a reason there are so many brands out there right? So many products filled with chemicals. One of them is bound to work with my skin right? Ugh. Very often I thought that I should have paid more attention in chemistry! I hate trying different types of products until I find one that works. It's like shopping for clothes. You have to shop until you find your style. Then when you do, you don't really want to try anything new right? But like everything else, the more I educated myself, the more I couldn't keep using these products. I was putting my health at risk while knowing that I was doing so. It didn't sit well with me. It was time to change.
Off I went to do research. Off I went to see what was out there. I'm honestly happy to say after four months of using my new products, I am the happiest girl there is. The care that I use makes me feel good. It makes my skin looks good. I actually don't mind putting on make up daily. I can feel good about it because I know I'm not risking my health just to look good.
So I ask you, go to wherever you keep your personal care items and start examining the labels. Can you even say half of the names? How many ingredients are there in just one item? Are you freaked out now? That's okay. I'm here to guide you into making healthier choices for yourself. I was overwhelmed myself first. I give you a list of the toxins so you know why we are avoiding these items. I give you a list of some of the brands I use. I also give you the list of resources I used to help me with my research. I hope this helps!!
The following are just a handful of chemicals that are in your daily routine. They are some of the worst chemicals to expose yourself to:
1. Toluene: is associated with dangers to reproductive system
2. Paraben: (also under butylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben, isopropylparaben, methylparaben, propylparaben): is commonly linked to breast cancer
3. Phthalates: commonly linked to birth defects and breast cancer. also damages liver, kidneys, lung and reproductive system.
4. Diethanolamine (DEA) and Triethanolamine (TEA): associated with liver, stomach, bladder and esophagus cancer.
5. Propylene Glycol and Polyethylene Glycol (PEG): (also in your antifreeze!!) - linked to liver kidney and brain damage.
6. Aluminum: linked to Alzheimer and brain disorders.
7. Fluoride: thyroid problems
The following are some brands that I've switched over to:
1. Burt Bees - Skin Care and Hair Care (The blemish stick is AMAZING!)
2. Tarte - Make up - The Amazonian clay foundation is my favorite product.
3. Primal Pit Paste- deodorants
4. Toms - toothpaste
5. Nature's Gate - Hair products
6. Shea Moisture -Hair Products
7. Sparitual - Nail Polish
The resources I used in my conversion:
1. www.ewg.org - environmental working group
2. The Honest Guide - book by Jessica Alba - great for pointers in all aspects of your life